Wednesday, September 09, 2020

 


Hello 

My name is Sara, and I am a Palestine refugee. 

I was born in 2006 in an "unofficial" refugee camp in the Syrian coastal city of Latakia. 

I love technology and computer programming. I also have a creative side – I enjoy acting, public speaking, and drawing too. What I love most though, is to bring joy to my friends. I really strive to understand them, and to ease their worries. It warms my heart to watch a smile appear on their faces. 


I love going to school – sometimes so much that I don’t want to go home at the end of the school day! Since the COVID-19 pandemic began, we’ve had to stay home and continue with our studies virtually. 

Help Palestine refugees get #BackToLearning!
Students at an UNRWA school in Khan Dunoun refugee camp. © 2020 UNRWA Photo by Hala Mukhles

My most important priority is to complete my education in the fullest, because there are so many things that I want to see and do in my life. I want to defend women’s rights, to be an active citizen in my community and I want to leave a positive mark on this society. I wish that bullying would disappear and that racism and discrimination would fade away entirely. I want to see the end of conflict between states and for peace to take hold of all societies. I wish that we could all join together as one and promise to live in peace on this planet, together as humans. 


With the new school year beginning, UNRWA is focused on getting students back to learning.

To keep children safe, the UNRWA back to learning modalities will prioritize physical distancing and healthy hygiene practices. A blended learning approach will be introduced, with students studying at home on some days.

This will require additional teachers and more school attendants, as well as specific hygiene and sanitation materials.

 
Support education for Palestine refugee students!

My teachers have really been amazing... but even with their support, some students had a hard time keeping up with their schooling – especially those who don’t have the internet or a smartphone. I’ve been exerting all my energy into keeping up with my lessons, but I do miss learning in a real classroom. I can’t wait until the doors of my school are opened again. I miss my books, my friends and my teachers. I miss my school down to the smallest details.

 Palestine refugee students at an UNRWA school in Homs camp, Syria, preparing for their 9th grade exams.  
© 2020 UNRWA Photo by Suzanne Leuenberger

I was five years old when the conflict began in Syria. Luckily, nobody from my immediate surroundings has been directly harmed. In other places, many schools were destroyed and students couldn't continue their education. There are students that should be in ninth grade, who haven't finished elementary school.

I am not afraid of the virus, but I am not reckless either. In my opinion, fear cannot help us – only caution and prevention will.


Thankfully, my family and I are fine and healthy. I am worried about my community though. This pandemic has made it even harder for people to afford the food they need to survive. As the Palestinian poet Mahmoud Darwish once wrote, “we love roses, but we love wheat more.”

Sooner or later, I do believe that things will get better. This pandemic will end, or at least stabilize. In the meantime, I will never lose hope. I know that one day, I will achieve all that I have been dreaming of. 



With respect,


Sara 
UNRWA Agency-wide Student Parliament member

Going back to school is a moment of celebration.

In spite of the financial challenges facing UNRWA, we are committed to protect the right of every Palestine refugee child to an education.

We at UNRWA are doing all we can so that no child is left behind.

 
Help Palestine refugees get #BackToLearning!

No comments: