Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Google Redux

I received the following email from *Alexandre ISRAËL * as a comment on my Google articles here and here. I thought I would post it as I think it is an interesting alternative to boycotting Google, Yahoo, MSN, and those search engines which do the States dirty working by censoring the internet.

A campaign to demand that search engines make a commitment to provide a warranty for transparency and responsibility to their users, us. Very simple; Give Us A Reason To Trust You. Very libertarian.


I particularly liked this part of his statement

Ethics:

And as you know it: governments might help or block your access to a market. But governments are not Your Market: make your choices carefully. Maybe the market will forget your mistakes and your priorities. Maybe it won’t.




Logo Give me Reasons 75x150

Hi,

After reading your article concerning Gogle stock crash, I wanted to put a
comment: But I do not want to create a Blogger account for that :-( . So I
decide to send you this mail and put a link to your article on my French
version blog :-).
After Google launched its new portal in China, I decided to start a blog to
claim for Ethical Search Engine, Now!

*Alexandre ISRAËL *

This is not boycotting: But it is an active call for answers.
I propose to ask every Search Engines' management to give us their position
on Ethics, to give us warranties and to describe us a modus operandi
concerning Transparency.

The message is quite simple: You take into accounts a few governements'
needs and priorities - We the users come to you to ask you to take into
account ours needs and priorities! The purpose is to make everybody happy -
in other words: to receive reasonable and acceptable answers from these
actors.

Please visit the Blog for more details. If you agree with the call, please
talk about it around you. And participate: Every idea is welcome.

English version hosted by WPcom: http://ethicalsearch.wordpress.com/

French version hosted by TPfrance: http://ethicalsearch.typepad.com/

Wiki (en & fr) hosted by CraoWiki :
http://wiki.crao.net/index.php/EthicalSearch

Do not hesitate to contact me, I will be glad to give you more information
about this. http://www.alexisrael.net/



I would encourage folks to check it out. Alexander is also supportive but critical of Reporters Sans Frontieres demand that governments, in this case the U.S. government, lobby for privacy rights for search engines and the internet.

As everyone will understand, my wish is to find a solution without having to call US government and legislators for help. I agree with the wish (that is why I signed) - but I do not believe in the choosen mean: I am sorry but I am not a believer! And I do not understand why I should talk to US governement to resolve a case in China.

Like I said I believe this is a Libertarian response to the issue of these private search engine companies who rely on us to use them to make them their profit, to demand that they answer to their users. Especially companies whose motto is 'Do No Evil'.

Internet spins spy web for China
The Age - 13 hours ago
GOOGLE has just announced its top search words or phrases, and the top 10 gainers, for last year. Top of the list was Janet Jackson, no doubt because users were keen to relive her costume "malfunction" during the previous year's Super Bowl.
Internet giants try to find a way to live and grow in China Asia Pacific Media Network
The Lesser of Two Googles: Reactions from the Worldwide Web AXcess News
Times Online - New York Times - eWeek - TIME - all 47 related »

Tags






No comments: