Amerika is threatening to call for sanctions against the democratically elected government in Nicaragua. Ah freedom and democracy, that of course does not mean what you think it does when it comes from the White House. They mean freedom and democracy to accept American Imperialism. Failure to do that makes you enemies of the State.
However perhaps Americans have more in common with Ortega than they think. After all he is anti-abortion just like them.
Former supporters disillusioned by his deals with a corrupt former president, Arnoldo Alemán, and his support for a total abortion ban, backed the dissident Sandinista candidate, Edmundo Jarquin.
Opportunism is spelled O R T E G A.
The Guardian UK writes:
An editing error in the report below introduced a value judgment on the Nicaraguan presidential election with the phrase, "From a social progressive, he [Daniel Ortega] has changed into an ego-driven opportunist ..." when the original article made it clear that this was the opinion of disillusioned Sandinistas.
It was no mistake he is an opportunist.
· No longer advocates central planning but wants to promote "fair markets" and may renegotiate US trade agreement. Hints that landless peasants ought to receive own plots.
· Preaches reconciliation and appointed Jamie Morales, former Contra spokesman, as running mate. Paid Morales compensation for seizing his home in 1980s. Ortega still lives in it.
· Apologised to Mesqitos, a rural community whose homes were torched by Sandinistas for cooperating with Contra rebels.
· Still chummy with Cuba's Fidel Castro, and also Venezuela's Hugo Chávez, but pledges to seek good relations with all countries, including the US.
· Has abandoned secularism and embraced Catholic church.
Ortega tries to ease worries about reign
At stake is millions of dollars in potential investment, much of it from foreign companies drawn to Nicaragua by the country's cheap labour, low crime rates and decision to join the new Central American Free Trade Agreement. Many are waiting to see if Mr Ortega wins and stays true to promises to continue free-trade policies.
Find blog posts, photos, events and more off-site about:
Sandinista, Ortega, elections, Nicaraugua,
Catholic, secular, marxist, Latin-America, imperialism, abortion, opprtunism, left, left-wing, free-trade, IMF