Thursday, August 25, 2022

‘I am a human being’, says Finnish Prime Minister Marin

A series of videos have been leaked to the media showing Marin dancing and 

partying with friends, as well as two other friends kissing, bare-chested, 

in what appears to be her official residence. While many have leapt to her defence,

 the incidents have dominated criticism levied against her. [EPA-EFE/OLIVIER HOSLET]

Prime minister Sanna Marin became tearful while addressing a crowd in Lahiti where the social democrats were having a summer meeting, following a week of video leaks.

A series of videos have been leaked to the media showing Marin dancing and partying with friends, as well as two other friends kissing, bare-chested, in what appears to be her official residence. While many have leapt to her defence, the incidents have dominated criticism levied against her.

”The week gone by has not been the easiest one in my life. Actually, it has been rather difficult. I would like to believe that people look more at what we are doing at work than what we are doing in our free time. I am a human being,” said Marin.

”Also, I am sometimes yearning for joy, light and fun amidst these dark clouds. Part of that is all sorts of footage and video material that I would not like to see, and from what I know, you would not like to see it either. Despite that, it is presented to us. It is a private matter, it is joy, it is life. But I haven’t missed a single work day, have left no task undone, and I never will.”

”I will learn the lesson. [..] I’m thinking of Ukraine. I’m thinking about you. And I will do my work,” concluded Marin.

Reportedly, Marin has received increased criticism from inside the Social Democratic Party, according to party members interviewed by Helsingin Sanomat on Wednesday, most commenting anonymously.

Some called for a leadership change ahead of the 2023 parliamentary elections, while another source alleged Marin was becoming more authoritarian and less informative towards the party rank and file.

Others, however, interpret these are understandable side effects of the pressures of the pandemic and the NATO membership process.




No comments: