Friday, August 27, 2021

Roaming Charges: Hour of the Goat


 

COUNTERPUNCH

AUGUST 27, 2021

Facebook

Baphomet drawing by Éliphas Lévi. From Dogme et Ritual de la Haute Magie by Éliphas Lévi (G. Baillière, Paris, 1861)

+ Televangelist Jim Bakker: “How can you go to church and pray when you’re wearing a mask? Do you think God can hear your prayers through a mask?” Is this the beginning of a doctrinal schism with Franklin Graham, who said yesterday that Jesus would oppose government background checks for guns because Almighty and All-Seeing God knows what’s in everyone’s heart and was doing the background checks himself?

+ So Nietzsche was wrong. God isn’t dead. He’s just deaf.

+ Woman at the Trump rally in Alabama (which has the lowest vaccination rate in the country), after Trump recommended getting the vaccine…”I think it is time where God is separating the sheep from the goats. I’m a goat. Because I am not a sheep. I’m not doing what they tell me to do. I’m fighting against it (the vaccine).”

+ There’s been a remarkable transformation in Christian cosmology. Lambs used to be the flock of Jesus, the good shepherd, and goats were the Satanic symbol of yielding to lustful temptation.

+ The relevant passage is in Matthew, where Jesus sets the sheep on the Right and the goats on the Left and orders the goats to “depart into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes & you did not clothe me, I was sick & in prison and you did not look after me.”

+ Those antinomian goats expelled by Jesus sound like they provided the template for Stephen Miller’s political program.

+ Here’s a list of the prohibited items at the Trump rally in Alabama last weekend. In other words, you can wear a mask, but you can’t bring your sidearm? You can bring your gun everywhere, even Church, except to a Trump rally? Is there a constitutional footnote, awaiting discovery in a dicta by that beer-swilling brat Brett Kavanaugh, that sanctions this intrusion into our Jesus-anointed right to carry? As for the prohibition on balls, they wouldn’t want to embarrass Trump.

+ I’m no fan of Patton, who was overrated as a general and underrated as a sadist, but it would have taken him about 5 seconds to slap the shit out of Don Jr.

READ ON  Roaming Charges: Hour of the Goat - CounterPunch.org


No comments: