Thursday, September 29, 2022

The uncomfortable truths in a new survey on religion reporting

Kelsey Dallas - Tuesday -DESERET NEWS

Pope Francis returns the ‘thumbs up’ sign to the crowd of faithful 
as he arrives in St. Peter’s Square at The Vatican for his weekly 
general audience, Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2022.
© Andrew Medichini, Associated Press

This article was first published in the State of Faith newsletter. Sign up to receive the newsletter in your inbox each Monday night.

My husband and I sometimes joke that constructive criticism is my love language. I have a probably unhealthy obsession with thinking about how things could have gone better, even when they went perfectly well.

Sounds fun, right?

For me, at least, it really is enjoyable to dream up possible improvements. Or at least it is until the conversation turns to religion journalism, apparently.

I discovered my discomfort with that topic last week when I was asked to write about a new study showing that people around the world aren’t that happy with the way the media covers religion. As I read through the report and worked on my article, I found myself arguing with the results and trying to write off people’s frustrations.

These survey respondents must not know what true religion journalism is, I thought. They must be letting one bad story color their whole view of the industry. I assured myself that, if they only knew me and other members of Religion News Association, they’d love us!
Almost as soon as my story was published, I realized that I needed to stop letting religion journalism off the hook. I heard from several readers, including faith leaders, about how they’d been burned by religion reporters in the past and about a pattern of problems, rather than an isolated incident.

Just this week, a story from The Guardian about lawn care and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reignited a debate about how religious scriptures are often taken out of context in news reports. Too often, journalists go hunting for passages that confirm their preconceived notions, rather than actually listening to the people of faith they’re writing about, tweeted McKay Coppins, a prominent Latter-day Saint, on Monday.

“I don’t mean to pile on — I don’t think that (Guardian) piece was written in bad faith,” he said. “But writing about religion is tricky. It’s very easy to inflate the importance of an obscure tradition or old quotes from faith leaders to fit your angle.”

Tweets like that one hurt my heart, because they remind me of mistakes I’ve made in the past. I shudder to think of times I’ve written about Catholic or Sikh or Jewish traditions without fact-checking my story with a Catholic or Sikh or Jewish person.


To be clear, I still think my industry is filled with amazing people doing amazing work. But, in many cases, they’re getting drowned out by others who are cutting corners or by entire news operations that are unwilling to fund thoughtful religion journalism.

There’s not much I can do by myself to solve this global problem, but I emerged from last week more committed than ever to regularly requesting feedback on my reporting and to giving my readers and sources a chance to tell me when I got something wrong.


So tell me: What do you like about this newsletter? What do you wish I covered more?

No comments: