Friday, August 07, 2026

Russia accuses France of ‘silencing dissent’ over journalist expulsion

Russia has accused France of suppressing freedom of expression, after French authorities ordered the expulsion of pro-Kremlin Russian journalist Xenia Fedorova and froze her assets.



Issued on: 06/08/2026 - RFI

Ksenia Fedorova, former head of RT France. AP - Francois Mori

Russian Foreign Ministry officials on Thursday condemned what they called the “political persecution of journalists based on false accusations”, saying the measures taken against Fedorova contradicted France’s stated commitment to free speech.

“Such actions are incompatible with France’s rhetoric regarding its commitment to the principles of freedom of expression,” deputy Foreign Ministry spokesperson Alexei Fadeev said in Moscow.

Fadeev accused French authorities of branding dissenting views as Russian propaganda and attempting to force out journalists and media organisations whose positions did not conform with the official line.

He also criticised what he described as the French leadership’s persistent efforts to blame Russia for the country’s domestic problems.

France freezes assets of controversial Russian commentator Fedorova


'Part of my journalism work'

French authorities accuse Fedorova of acting as “a conduit for disinformation campaigns orchestrated by the Russian authorities” and designed to destabilise public order in France.

She was served with an expulsion order in late July and had her assets frozen.

Fedorova said on Monday that she was currently outside France and did not intend to return until the measures had been suspended or withdrawn.

Her growing prominence on French media outlets owned by conservative billionaire Vincent Bolloré had raised concerns over possible attempts to influence public debate, particularly ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

Fedorova has rejected the accusations, saying in a statement attributed to her on X (formerly Twitter): “My conduct consists of living in France for nearly 10 years in compliance with the law, paying my taxes, but also having an opinion and expressing it as part of my work as a journalist."

The original post no longer appears to be visible on her public X profile.

'A serious violation'

Fedorova previously headed the French branch of the Russian state-run broadcaster Russia Today (RT), whose programmes have been banned across the European Union since March 2022 following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Her current employers, Canal+ and Lagardère, have defended her, describing the French government’s actions as “a particularly serious violation of freedom of expression”.

The case comes amid growing concern in France over foreign interference and disinformation campaigns ahead of next year's presidential election.

French authorities have repeatedly accused Russia of seeking to amplify political divisions and shape public opinion through coordinated influence operations.

Moscow has denied interfering in France’s domestic affairs and has accused European governments of using allegations of Russian propaganda to silence alternative viewpoints.

Kremlin critic leaves Moscow for Paris after ban from running for election

Russian anti-war politician Boris Nadezhdin has left the country after being prevented from standing in September’s parliamentary elections, becoming the latest prominent Kremlin critic to move abroad amid an intensifying crackdown on dissent.



Issued on: 05/08/2026 - 

Boris Nadezhdin, charged with "demonstrating extremist symbols", appears in court in the town of Dolgoprudny in the Moscow region on 17 July. AFP - ALEXANDER NEMENOV

Nadezhdin, who attempted to challenge President Vladimir Putin in the 2024 presidential election, announced his departure in a video posted on the Telegram messaging service on Monday.

The 63-year-old politician appeared in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, although he did not say whether he intended to remain in France permanently.

“Good news: I’m alive and free. Unfortunately, not in Russia for the time being,” he said, adding that he needed “to look around and figure out life going forward”.

His departure follows several weeks of mounting legal and political pressure that effectively ended his attempt to contest elections for the State Duma, the lower house of the Russian parliament.


Nadezhdin was added to Russia’s register of “foreign agents” in July – a designation that imposes extensive reporting requirements, brings additional government scrutiny and carries strongly negative connotations inside Russia.

People classified as foreign agents are also barred from standing for elected office.

He was subsequently fined 1,000 roubles – around €11 – for allegedly displaying “extremist symbols”, a charge he dismissed as absurd and politically motivated.

The case concerned a video posted online in 2023 that briefly showed an image of Alexei Navalny, the opposition leader who died in a Russian prison in February 2024.

Navalny had been convicted on extremism charges that he, his supporters and international observers widely regarded as an attempt to quash his political activities.

Pressure ahead of elections

The conviction prevented Nadezhdin from collecting the signatures required to appear on the ballot for September’s parliamentary elections.

Police had briefly detained him before the court hearing, and he said Russian authorities had also imposed a temporary ban preventing him from leaving the country.

It was not immediately clear whether that restriction was subsequently lifted or how he was able to travel to France.

Nadezhdin initially said he would continue his parliamentary campaign despite the foreign agent designation, arguing that the measures against him were intended to remove one of the few remaining publicly visible opponents of the war in Ukraine.

He later acknowledged that the combined legal obstacles had made it impossible for him to continue the campaign.

The ruling United Russia party is seeking to maintain its commanding majority in the State Duma in the September vote.

Its principal nominal challengers include the Communist Party and several smaller parties which frequently support the Kremlin on major legislation and foreign policy.

The election campaign comes as the authorities face signs of public fatigue over the war in Ukraine, alongside economic pressures and fuel shortages linked partly to Ukrainian attacks on Russian energy infrastructure.

Rare anti-war presidential campaign

Nadezhdin emerged as an unexpectedly prominent figure ahead of the March 2024 presidential election, after openly calling for an end to the war.

Thousands of people queued at campaign offices across Russia in January 2024 to sign documents supporting his candidacy, creating one of the most visible demonstrations of anti-war sentiment since the full-scale invasion began two years earlier.

His campaign gathered more than the 100,000 signatures required to register as a presidential candidate.

However, Russia’s Central Election Commission rejected his application after ruling that more than 9,000 of the signatures submitted were invalid. The Supreme Court later upheld the decision, keeping him off the ballot.

Putin faced only token opposition in the election and secured a fifth presidential term.

Nadezhdin's relatively moderate political background had allowed him to remain in Russia longer than many other prominent Putin critics, even as he became increasingly outspoken against the war.

Since launching the full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the Russian authorities have sharply restricted independent reporting, public protest and criticism of the armed forces.


No comments: