Wednesday, February 18, 2026

Largest protest in Kosovo's recent history backs former KLA leaders on trial in The Hague

Largest protest in Kosovo's recent history backs former KLA leaders on trial in The Hague
Kosovo’s former president Hashim Thaci and other former KLA leaders are charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity allegedly committed during and after the 1998-1999 conflict.
By bne IntelliNews February 18, 2026

Thousands of people gathered in Pristina on February 17 for what organisers described as the largest march in Kosovo’s history, rallying under the slogan “Justice, not politics” in support of former Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) leaders on trial in The Hague.

The protest was held at Skanderbeg Square and was organised by the “Freedom Has a Name” platform, which said citizens arrived from across Kosovo, the wider region, the diaspora and even the United States to express solidarity with former president Hashim Thaçi, Kadri Veseli, Jakup Krasniqi and Rexhep Selimi, Kosovo-online reported.

Despite harsh weather conditions, participants remained in the square for hours, with organisers saying the turnout demonstrated unity and a shared sense of national dignity.

“Their mass presence showed that this is not about individuals or groups, but about historical truth,” the organisers said in a statement.

According to the Telegrafi news agency, up to 130,000 people joined the demonstration. Kosovo's population is around 1.6mn.

The demonstration follows a February 13 resolution adopted by Kosovo’s parliament, calling on the Kosovo Specialist Chambers and the Specialist Prosecutor’s Office to ensure a fair trial for former KLA leaders. The resolution was passed with 90 votes in favour.

Thaçi, Kosovo’s former president, along with Veseli, Krasniqi and Selimi, are charged with war crimes and crimes against humanity allegedly committed during and after the 1998–1999 conflict.

All four have pleaded not guilty. Earlier this month, Specialist Prosecutor Kimberly West requested prison sentences of 45 years for each defendant as closing arguments began in the case.

No comments: