Wednesday, February 18, 2026



France opens twin Epstein inquiries and calls on victims to testify


France has launched two formal investigations into the Jeffrey Epstein affair, covering alleged sexual crimes and possible financial wrongdoing, as prosecutors call on potential French victims to come forward following the release of millions of case documents in the United States.

Issued on: 18/02/2026 -RFI

Undated photographs provided by the US Department of Justice on 30 January, 2026 as part of the Jeffrey Epstein files. © AFP

Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau announced on Wednesday that her office was opening two “framework investigations” after the United States government released nearly 3 million documents linked to American financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein on 30 January.

“We want to stand alongside these victims. We will receive all the statements they wish to make,” Beccuau told FranceInfo radio.

On Saturday, the Paris prosecutor’s office said it was taking up the documents published by US authorities as part of the case.

Victims encouraged to testify

Beccuau said the newly released material could prompt victims previously unknown to investigators to come forward.

“These publications will inevitably reactivate the trauma of certain victims, some of whom we believe are not necessarily known,” she said. “Perhaps these new publications will lead them to come forward.”

The two investigations will run in parallel. One concerns alleged sexual offences, while the other examines possible economic and financial matters connected to the case.

Five magistrates will oversee the inquiries, including three assigned to alleged sexual offences and two to financial matters.

“Decisions to conduct interviews will be taken once we have gathered evidence,” Beccuau said.

Investigators will analyse the documents using support from France’s anti-cybercrime office and artificial intelligence tools, while also relying on press reporting, open sources and possible complaints from organisations working to protect minors.

Beccuau said the prosecutor’s office could move quickly if clear evidence emerges.

“If we have fully established facts, nothing will prevent us from initiating initial proceedings,” she said, adding that the two investigations could last “several months, or even several years”.

Individuals named

Anyone named in the Epstein files could become the subject of an investigation if French law applies, the Paris prosecutor’s office said on Saturday.

Among those cited in France are former French culture minister Jack Lang and diplomat Fabrice Aidan. Daniel Said, a model recruiter described in the case as a possible associate of Epstein's in Paris, could also be questioned.

“He is among the people who could be interviewed,” Beccuau said, noting that some alleged incidents could fall under the description of organised human trafficking offences.

Prosecutors are already analysing two complaints linked to the case. One was filed last Wednesday by former model Ebba Karlson, who accuses Said of raping her in France in 1990.

The second case was transferred from prosecutors in Thonon-les-Bains, eastern France, and concerns alleged sexual harassment in 2016 involving conductor Frédéric Chaslin. Prosecutors said the complaint is currently being examined.

Epstein owned an 800-square-metre apartment on Avenue Foch in Paris, where he spent several weeks each year over two decades.

(with newswires)

French prosecutors announce special team to analyse Epstein files

The Paris prosecutor's office on Saturday announced it was setting up a special team to analyse files relating to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and investigate suspected crimes involving French nationals. As part of that initiative, they will be reopening their files on the late Jean-Luc Brunel, a former French modelling agency executive.


 15/02/2026 
By: FRANCE 24

A photo of Epstein on a inmate report that was included in the US Department of Justice release of the Jeffrey Epstein files, photographed Tuesday, February 10, 2026. © Jon Elswick, AP


The Paris prosecutor's office on Saturday announced it was setting up a special team of magistrates to analyse evidence that could implicate French nationals in the crimes of the convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

With Epstein's known circle now extending to prominent French figures after the release of documents by the US authorities, the prosecutor's office said it would also thoroughly re-examine the case of a former French modelling agency executive Jean-Luc Brunel, a close associate of the American financier, who died in custody in 2022.

The new team will work closely with prosecutors from the national financial crimes unit and police with a view to opening investigations into any suspected crimes involving French nationals, the Paris prosecutor's office told AFP.

The aim is "to be able to extract any piece that could be usefully reused in a new investigative framework", it said.

Brunel was found dead in his cell in a Paris prison in 2022 after having been charged with raping minors. The case against him was dropped in 2023 in the wake of his death, with no other person charged.

Prosecutors said an investigation had showed Brunel was "a close friend of Jeffrey Epstein" who had offered modelling jobs to young girls from poor backgrounds.

He had engaged in sexual acts with underage girls in the United States, the US Virgin Islands, Paris and the south of France, they said.

Ten women had made accusations against Brunel, several describing how they had been led to drink alcohol and had been subjected to forced sexual penetration, according to the prosecutor's office.
New cases

Several French public figures feature in the latest US Department of Justice release of material from the Epstein files, though being mentioned there does not in itself mean any offence has been committed.

The prosecutor's office said it had been asked to look into three new specific cases involving a French diplomat, a modelling agent and a musician.

READ MORENew conspiracy theories hold that Jeffrey Epstein is alive and well

At the request of the French foreign ministry it was looking into the reported appearance of senior diplomat Fabrice Aidan in the cache of Epstein-related documents published by the US authorities.

"An investigation is underway to gather various pieces of evidence that could substantiate this report," the prosecutor's office stated.


© France 24
01:25



The prosecutor's office has also received a complaint filed by a Swedish woman against Daniel Siad, a model recruiter with close ties to Epstein. She accused him of "sexual acts that she describes as rape and that may have been committed in France in 1990".

The office has also received a complaint filed against French conductor Frédéric Chaslin alleging acts of sexual harassment allegedly committed in 2016, it said.

The latest release of Epstein files has led to French former minister Jack Lang resigning from his position as the head of a top cultural body, the Arab World Institute.

Lang has however denied any wrongdoing, saying he was "shocked" that his name appeared in the statutes of an offshore company Epstein founded in 2016.

The office of the national financial prosecutor said it had opened a preliminary investigation for "aggravated tax fraud and money laundering" against Lang and his daughter Caroline Lang.

Following this announcement, Lang resigned from the presidency of the Arab World Institute.

Epstein died in prison in 2019 while awaiting trial for trafficking children, in what the US authorities ruled was a suicide.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

No comments: