Sunday, July 17, 2022

Camryn Rogers captures hammer throw silver for Canada's 1st medal at 2022 world championships










Sun, July 17, 2022

Canada's Camryn Rogers has made history at the world athletics championships, becoming the first Canadian woman ever to win a medal in women's hammer throw.

With the wind swirling and sun beating down on Hayward Field Sunday afternoon in Eugene, Ore., Rogers launched her third throw of the final 75.52 metres, enough to capture silver for Canada.

It marks the first time a Canadian woman has won a field event medal at the world championships. It's also Canada's first medal at these worlds.

"Oh my gosh. I feel so completely overwhelmed right now with emotion. I am so happy," Rogers told CBC Sports.

"I am so motivated and so excited to be coming home with this medal. It shows every throw, every lift, this is what it leads to."

Fellow Canadian Olympian Jillian Weir finished fifth with a throw of 72.41m.

Brooke Andersen of the U.S. won gold with a throw of 78.96m, while compatriot Janee' Kassanavoid claimed bronze (74.86m).

Rogers soaked in the historic moment, doing a lap around the stadium with a Canadian flag draped over her.

Camryn's mom, Shari Rogers, was cheering wildly in the stands beside her fiance, waving a Canadian flag.

The two shared a hug while Rogers was continuing her lap around the stadium.

"I felt so overwhelmed with pride and gratitude. Camryn is my hero. She leads by example and I learn so much from her all the time. We've gone through a lot together," Shari said.

"She's now set a huge example not just for Canada but for women and other girls in sport. That means so much. She did it and I'm just so proud of her. My shining star.""

The historic moment fully sunk in for Camryn when she was embraced by her mom.

"When we were doing our lap afterwards I saw her in the crowd. She came down to the railing and gave me a huge hug and that's when it hit me," Camryn said. "When she wrapped her arms around me I started bawling on the spot."

Rogers started strong with an opening throw of 72.61m, putting her in second spot to begin. She didn't register her second throw after it hit the net.























But her best was yet to come.

Her third throw was the silver-medal winning throw. Rogers stepped into the ring and launched it 75.52m.

"I could not be more motivated. My season isn't over yet. Commonwealth Games in two weeks, go there and execute," Rogers said.

It's been another successful season for Rogers.

The 23-year-old from Richmond, B.C., is a three-time NCAA champion, winning her third title just a month earlier. She holds the national and NCAA records in the event.

Rogers also made history in her Olympic debut in Tokyo last summer, becoming the first Canadian woman ever to.advance into an Olympic hammer throw final.

She finished fifth overall with a throw of 74.35m. She was the youngest competitor in the final, just 22 years old at the time, by almost two years.

And her fascination with the sport began just a decade ago while watching the London 2012 Olympics. Rogers was amazed by how strong the women in the hammer throw event were — she wanted to one day be like them.

Now she's made history in the event for Canada, and her mom couldn't be more proud.

"She gives me strength and she doesn't even realize it. When I see her out there doing that, it's such an amazing feeling. I'm so happy for her," Shari said.

"It's huge. And it shows that we have the power within ourselves to make anything happen."

Canada's Ahmed finishes 6th in men's 10,000m

As Rogers continued to make her way around the stadium, the men's 10,000-metre race got underway.

Canada's Moh Ahmed, who had been dealing with an injury over the last number of weeks, was ready to race.

The 31-year-old long-distance runner was looking to improve upon his sixth-place finish one year ago at the Tokyo Olympics in the event.

He also finished sixth in the event three years ago at the worlds in Doha.

Ahmed kept up with the lead pack throughout the entire race and found himself with the top-six once again as the bell sounded for the final lap.

Despite a gutsy push to the finish, Ahmed once again finished sixth in the event, clocking a time of 27:30.27.

"I still haven't figured out the 10K. It's disappointing. I thought I prepared really well. I didn't like my position that last 400 metres. I would have liked to have been more up front," Ahmed told CBC Sports after the race.

"There was a lot of traffic out there and I think I left myself in a bad position."

Uganda's Joshua Cheptegei won the race in a season-best time of 27:27.43. In doing so, he became only the fourth man to win back to back 10,000m world titles.

Stanley Mburu, from Kenya, placed second with a time of 27:27.90. Jacob Kiplimo, also of Uganda, won bronze with a 27:27.97

Ahmed commended the frontrunners after the race.

"That's tough running right there. It comes down to position. It comes down to staying closer up front. And ability," he said.

Ahmed will now shift his attention to the 5,000m.

Last summer in Tokyo, Ahmed won silver in the 5,000m, Canada's first distance medal in Olympic track and field. This season, he set a national record in the indoor 5,000m.

"I feel confident about the five for sure but I also felt confident about this one too," he said.

No comments: