Washington Chose Coercion While Beijing Kept Talking – OpEd

File photo of a merchant ship being escorted by the US Navy while transiting the Strait of Hormuz. Photo Credit: U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate 3rd Class Angel Roman-Otero, Wikimedia Commons
Key Takeaways:
- The 60-day Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding between the US and Iran has expired without extension or successor, with both sides treating the deadline as moot while Hormuz transits drop sharply and oil prices rise.
- The deal contained built-in weaknesses (unresolved shipping routes, no Israeli ceasefire coverage, unfunded reconstruction promises) that allowed rapid return to confrontation, while Washington used the period to intensify economic isolation and a port blockade.
- Iran has hardened its posture with threats of “strategic surprises,” and the wider cost is being felt in higher energy prices across Asia and Africa, while China continues to position itself as a more consistent advocate for resumed negotiations.
Five vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday. None did on Sunday. The weekend before, thirty-one did. Weekly transits through the strait are down 19.5 percent from two weeks ago. Brent crude has climbed to $91.14 a barrel, its highest since July 30. That is what a diplomatic deadline looks like when nobody actually meant to keep it.
The sixty-day window under the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding, signed by Presidents Trump and Pezeshkian on June 17 and brokered by Pakistan, lapsed Monday with no extension and no successor. Iran’s foreign ministry called the deadline “entirely moot.” Washington did not bother to dispute that. President Trump told reporters he has “no time schedule” for resolving anything, and in the same week threatened to strike Oman if Muscat “gets in the way” of reopening the strait it borders. That is not the language of a government mourning a lost peace process.
The conventional read is that this was a good-faith framework that collapsed under pressure from hardliners on both sides. Look at what the memorandum actually said, and a less comfortable reading emerges: the deal carried the seeds of its own failure inside the text, and Washington spent the interval not consolidating peace but building the machinery for the confrontation that has now resumed.
Start with the document. The memorandum required Iran to clear mines from Hormuz and, under Article 5, left the passage route itself unresolved. Iran wanted ships routed along its own coast, consistent with how it has always managed the strait; Washington and Oman pushed a route hugging the Omani side instead. That single unsettled line gave Tehran a pretext to treat noncompliant vessels as targets within days. Article 1‘s ceasefire never covered Israel, so Israeli strikes on Lebanon continued straight through a period Washington was calling a truce. The memorandum promised $300 billion in Iranian reconstruction funding without saying who would pay it. A promise with no funding mechanism is not a concession. It is a placeholder.
Within ten days both sides were exchanging fire again. On July 7, barely three weeks into the window, Trump declared the deal “over.” Tehran and Washington then spent seven more weeks going through the motions of a process both governments had already written off.
There was a moment when it looked otherwise. On August 4, Qatar said a short-term de-escalation text was “being circulated between the parties,” and President Trump held a call with Qatar’s emir on the same push. Brent fell more than 5 percent, briefly dropping below $80 a barrel on the optimism. Two weeks later that draft is dead, the strait is emptier than before the talk of a deal, and Brent has climbed back above $91. Whatever Doha built, Washington did not carry it across the finish line.
What Washington did with those seven weeks matters more than the diplomacy that failed. On August 7, Treasury Secretary Bessent said the department would “hunt down and dismantle” the financial networks funding Tehran. A week later the Treasury Secretary added that the fuller campaign would pair “economic isolation, like the world has never seen before” with the port blockade already choking Iranian trade. CENTCOM has confirmed redirecting 64 commercial vessels under that blockade, disabling three more and boarding two others. None of that is retaliation for a deadline lapsing. It was already running while the negotiating clock was still on the wall.
Iran’s response has hardened to match. An IRGC official has promised “strategic surprises” and a shift toward a more offensive posture, and Iran’s army chief has put a bounty of roughly $30,000 on captured or killed American service members. Houthi forces struck Saudi vessels in the Red Sea last week, spreading the disruption well past Hormuz itself. Each escalation on one side hands the other a justification for the next. This is not a negotiation running off the rails. It is two governments that decided sometime in early July the deal was dead and kept talking anyway.
The bill for that decision is not being paid in Washington or Tehran. It shows up in wider trade deficits and weaker currencies across Asia and Africa within weeks of every dollar Brent adds to its price. And there has been a quieter, steadier alternative running in parallel to Washington’s blockade diplomacy the whole time. On July 24, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the door to negotiations, once opened, “should not be closed” as long as hope for peace remained, and urged both sides to resume implementing the memorandum they had already signed. Iran’s foreign minister Araghchi thanked Beijing for what he called an “objective and impartial” position, and said Tehran’s willingness to negotiate “had never changed.” Months earlier, China’s foreign ministry had already called the naval blockade “dangerous and irresponsible.” Tehran noticed which capital kept saying the same thing throughout. Iran’s ambassador in Beijing has said as much outright: countries Iran considers friendly will get different treatment at Hormuz than countries enforcing the blockade against it.
None of this required a theory of Western decline to predict. It required reading Article 5 of a memorandum and noting that its central ambiguity was exactly the kind of provision that gets exploited within days, not resolved within months. Washington had sixty days to turn a fragile ceasefire into something durable and spent them instead drafting sanctions packages and repositioning warships. Judge a policy by what it built, not by what it said it was attempting.
The states with the most to lose from a shut strait, which is most of Asia and a good deal of Africa, do not have the luxury of waiting out the next round of talks between Washington and Tehran on Washington’s schedule. Energy security tied to the electoral rhythms of a Treasury Department mid-campaign against Iran’s banks is not security. It is exposure with a countdown clock attached, and this one has already run out once, on a deadline nobody in Washington seriously intended to meet.
No comments:
Post a Comment