Friday, February 10, 2006

Don't P.O. Garth

Harper did not fill his cabinet this week with all the ex-cabinet ministers he could have.

Several pundits who revel in this sort of thing, speculated he would pick for his first cabinet those with prior experience in cabinet, Federal or provincial. Harper was buidling a war cabinet one that would shore up the party in order to win a majority next election. This would be his one and only cabinet. So the optics were have experienced folks in the cabinet.

So how come Garth Turner got overlooked? He had been a cabinet minister in Kim Campbells short lived government. Was it because unlike the Calgary Gang he was a Red Tory? A Whig by any other name .
Whigs and Tory's

So this week when he didn't get appointed to cabinet but a liberal and an unelected party hack did, well he spoke up.


Tories singing new tune on political floor-crossers after Emerson ...

Many Tories are grumbling privately about David Emerson's decision to become a Conservative and join cabinet just two weeks after he won election as a Liberal. Ontario MP Garth Turner said his constituents are concerned because he said during the campaign that MPs who switch parties should be forced to face byelections. Ontario MP Garth Turner was one of the few who spoke publicly about his unease with Emerson's move. On his web site, he posted a letter from a furious constituent.

"I am feeling incredibly betrayed by Stephen Harper," said the letter."This is more of the same crap that the Liberals have been serving out for 12 years and which made my blood boil."The lies, the deceit, the arrogance. I couldn't wait to vote those bastards out and vote in some integrity and honesty. But this! This is a betrayal of my confidence in Harper and the Conservative party."

Turner said he campaigned on the idea that MPs who switch parties should be forced to face byelections. And he still supports the idea.

''I think anyone who crosses the floor, ultimately, should go back to the people for ratification,'' Turner said.


There is an irony here in that Garth had been held the position of Minister of National Revenue, a position given to newcomer Carol Skelton. She too had been upset with floor crossing MP's in this case Belinda Stronach, and like the NDP she co-sponosored a bill to force a byelection on those MP's who crossed the floor. Today she is silent on David Emerson's doing the same, but joining her in cabinet.

Carol Skelton said just months ago she was sick to her stomach when Stronach defected to the Liberal.The Saskatchewan MP even introduced a parliamentary motion to restrict the practice of party-switching, but won't be bringing it back any time soon."That was last year," Skelton, now minister of national revenue, said yesterday. "We talked about it and I decided not to proceed with it. It's one of those matters that is debatable."Tory MPs change tune on party defectors

Very debatable, like the pay off made by Harper to her co-sponsor Helena Guergis, who became a parlimentary secretary and now like Carol has backed off the any idea of having a byelection for Emerson. Tories Bribe MPs for Silence


Other Tories who were howling for Stronachs resignation and demanding she run in a byelection last summer are now singing from the Harper songsheet.

Ontario MP Harold Albrecht appeared to be softening the position he advocated during the election. He campaigned on a promise to ensure floor-crossers face the electorate anew to confirm their switch in allegiances. "I expressed that, yeah. I would prefer that when someone crosses the floor they would have a byelection," he said Thursday. "But I want to talk to my colleagues about that."B.C.'s James Lunney, who supported a proposed law to force byelections after Stronach defected, now indicates he's not as supportive any more. Tories singing new tune on political floor-crossers after Emerson ...

So the party that campaigned on Free Votes less power to the Whip does what to Turner? Well they sick the Whip on him and call him to the principals office to give him a tongue lashing, Belinda remembers those well, and a dressing down by Mr. Harper. So much for Reform Party principles. Or Alliance. This is the new Conservative Party just like Daddies. They are here to win the next election, damn the torpedos full speed ahead.

So the apologists in Calgary pooh-pooh principles, not just the old tired ones from Preston Mannings day but the ones that got the party elected only a week ago. Ezra Le Rant was on Don Newmans Politics on CBC spinning the party line yesterday. Now if only Harper actually had a press spokesperson or a media plan then Ezras rant wouldn't have been neccasary.

So having been given a choice to shut up and toe the Harper line, not the party line the Great Leaders line. Garth rightly choose to uphold the party line over the Great Leader. Of course the followers of the Great Leader will denounce him as a Trotskyist roader and wrecker. To be expected from those whose are willing to sacrifice principles to gain power.

Choices

I have written here many times over the past few months about my journey to become an MP again, and why I wanted to return to Ottawa. It was not to be a minister with a limo, but, as I explained, to try and empower elected people more, to make them relevant and free, so the voters would also become more empowered. And I campaigned to advance issues my middle class voters are so concerned with – things those families need and want.

But, I arrived as the prime minister was appointing a floor-crossing Liberal and an unelected party official to his cabinet, which seemed to fly in the face of everything I had told voters about accountability and democracy. It also made me question the whole process, after eight months of knocking on doors to win my coveted seat in this magnificent stone building on the banks of the Rideau.

Sure, I thought the appointment of those two ministers was questionable. And after stating many a time that Belinda Stronach should have sought a by-election after her defection, how could I not say the same obvious thing now? It was simple for my constitutents to understand, and simple for me. I did not seek the microphones out, but when they were under my nose and a clear question was asked, I gave a clear answer.

Everybody who makes up the government should be elected. They should be elected as members of the party that forms the government. Anybody who switches parties should go back to the people. To do otherwise is to place politicians above the people when, actually, it’s the other way around.

But my comments were deemed not helpful, even though I chose them carefully and pulled some punches, suggesting Minister Emerson be given a little time before deciding on whether or not to get elected as a Tory.

Did I know the potential consequences of speaking my mind, or sticking with the principles that brought me to this cold hill? Yeah, I did. I have been an MP before, and a leadership candidate and a cabinet minister. I have the hide to prove it. I know the PMO has a song sheet it wants all caucus members to sing from, and I know what happens when an individual chooses to go his or her own way. I was just hoping this time I would not be asked to choose – between party and principle.


Mores of my blog articles on the Conservatives





Find blog posts, photos, events and more off-site about:
, , , , , , , ,

No comments: