Reporters Without Borders (RSF) has called for the "immediate release" of two French filmmakers and their Togolese fixer in a statement issued late Wednesday. Detained since July 27, all three have now been remanded into custody to await trial, the group said.
Issued on: 19/08/2026
By: FRANCE 24

Reporters Without Borders published a photo of French filmmakers Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani, and their Togolese fixer Fred Vedomey, to accompany a statement about their detention. © Courtesy Reporters Without Borders
Detained since July 27, all three were remanded into custody on Monday to await trial, Reporters Without Borders said, adding that they are being held at the Agoè Logopé camp near Lomé.
"RSF calls for the immediate release of French filmmakers Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani and their Togolese fixer Fred Vedomey, who are in pre-trial detention," the statement said.
"The filmmakers entered the country on work visas and obtained authorisation to film, but were charged with making 'false declarations' on August 17," RSF said.
France's foreign ministry confirmed on Wednesday that the French nationals had so far received three consular visits.
"The ministry's departments in Paris and Lomé are fully mobilised to monitor their conditions of detention and their state of health, and to ensure respect for their right to a [legal] defence," the ministry said.
The two men were arrested while filming in northern Togo for a documentary series broadcast by France Televisions, according to Patrice Lucchini, head of Tony Comiti Productions. Lucchini said the filmmakers were detained near the city of Kara after venturing beyond the area they had been advised to remain in.
RSF said Pezzani is suffering from "serious health problems" and may require immediate medical attention.
Appeals from the men's families were included in the RSF statement, in which they also asked for consideration to be given to Pezzani's health issues, warning that "his condition could deteriorate".
"We hope for a swift resolution. The uncertainty and anguish weigh daily on the families of the two detained filmmakers, who are enduring the painful wait for news and for their release," they said.
Detained since July 27, all three were remanded into custody on Monday to await trial, Reporters Without Borders said, adding that they are being held at the Agoè Logopé camp near Lomé.
"RSF calls for the immediate release of French filmmakers Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani and their Togolese fixer Fred Vedomey, who are in pre-trial detention," the statement said.
"The filmmakers entered the country on work visas and obtained authorisation to film, but were charged with making 'false declarations' on August 17," RSF said.
France's foreign ministry confirmed on Wednesday that the French nationals had so far received three consular visits.
"The ministry's departments in Paris and Lomé are fully mobilised to monitor their conditions of detention and their state of health, and to ensure respect for their right to a [legal] defence," the ministry said.
The two men were arrested while filming in northern Togo for a documentary series broadcast by France Televisions, according to Patrice Lucchini, head of Tony Comiti Productions. Lucchini said the filmmakers were detained near the city of Kara after venturing beyond the area they had been advised to remain in.
RSF said Pezzani is suffering from "serious health problems" and may require immediate medical attention.
Appeals from the men's families were included in the RSF statement, in which they also asked for consideration to be given to Pezzani's health issues, warning that "his condition could deteriorate".
"We hope for a swift resolution. The uncertainty and anguish weigh daily on the families of the two detained filmmakers, who are enduring the painful wait for news and for their release," they said.
Togo has been led since 2005 by Faure Gnassingbe, who succeeded his father who ruled the west African state for 38 years.
Since late 2021, the country's far north has been plagued by incursions from jihadists based over the border in Burkina Faso, where groups linked to al Qaeda and the Islamic State group are active.
The government declared a state of emergency the following year in a northern region and has extended it several times, most recently in February for a period of one year.
Radio France Internationale and France 24 were taken off the air in June 2025 for three months, accused of relaying "inaccurate and tendentious remarks" after demonstrations critical of the government, which shook the country that same month.
Togo ranks 97th out of 180 countries in the annual press freedom index compiled by Reporters Without Borders.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
No comments:
Post a Comment