Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Three Beetles

Well how did I miss this stunning scientific discovery of 2005? I dunno, I guess the White House wasn't to keen on announcing this;

- The guardians of animal nomenclature had mixed feelings over a proposal to name three newly-discovered species of slime-mould beetle after US President George W. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. A pair of insect experts reserved the names Agathidium bushi, Agathidium cheneyi and Agathidium rumsfeldi for their latest creepy-crawlies. Science on a lighter note: offbeat tales of 2005

Speaking of beetles, or Coleoptera, it reminds me of this quote;

"I'm not sure, but he seems to be inordinately fond of beetles."

-- J.B.S. Haldane, when asked what the study of science taught him about "the creator"


Tags





No comments: