Wednesday, March 10, 2021

WOMAN Brazilian adventurer traverses lava lake for Guinness record

March 8 (UPI) -- A Brazilian adventurer broke a Guinness World Record by using a rope to traverse a distance of 329 feet, 11.76 inches over the volcanic lava lake Erta Ale in Ethiopia.

Karina Oliani, a medical doctor and adventurer whose previous accomplishments include becoming the first Brazilian woman to climb the mountain K2, was suspended in a protective suit over the lava lake in Afar and climbed across the rope while the lava boiled below at a temperature of 2,168 degrees.

"Since I was a very little kid, I was always fascinated by nature and big challenges. And I thought, what could be a bigger challenge than traversing the largest lava lake on Earth?" Oliani said.

Oliani was awarded the Guinness World Record for the world's longest tyrolean traverse over a lava lake. The record was announced Monday to coincide with International Women's Day.

"I hope that all the things I have accomplished in my life today can empower girls and women from all over the world to go after their dreams. I hope by watching me they go: 'if this girl was able to do that, I can also do whatever I put my mind to!' If they want to be president, climb a mountain, Traverse a volcano, or something else that has never been done before -- they can and should do it," Oliani said. Women's Day.

"I hope that all the things I have accomplished in my life today can empower girls and women from all over the world to go after their dreams. I hope by watching me they go: 'if this girl was able to do that, I can also do whatever I put my mind to!' If they want to be president, climb a mountain, Traverse a volcano, or something else that has never been done before -- they can and should do it," Oliani said.

No comments: